ALAGA Turtle Candies
Melted chocolate and caramel over toasted pecans. So delicious.
- Heavy saucepan
- Baking Sheet
- 240 pecan halves
- 1 pt. half and half
- 2 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 c. ALAGA Cane Syrup
- 1/3 c. butter
- 1 T. vanilla extract
- 1 (12-oz.) pkg. semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- Arrange pecans in groups of 4 on greased baking sheets. Set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan over medium, heat 2 c. of half and half to lukewarm.
- Add sugar, salt and ALAGA Cane Syrup to the half and half in pan.
- Cook stirring constantly until mixture boils.
- Very slowly stir in the remaining half and half so that the mixture does not stop boiling.
- Cook and stir constantly for 5 minutes.
- Turn heat to low and add butter 1 tsp. at a time.
- Boil gently while stirring constantly until 248 degrees is reached on the candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour about 1 tsp. of the slightly cooled caramel mixture over the center of each group of pecan halves.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate morsels in a double boiler or heavy saucepan.
- Spread over each turtle.
- Makes 48 turtles.