Sweet Stewed Tomatoes
- 10 to 12 lg. homegrown tomatoes
- 1 chopped onion
- 1/2 c. ALAGA Yellow Label Syrup
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 c. chopped green pepper
- 1/3 c. chopped fresh basil
- 8 slices sourdough bread (cubed)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and chip the tomatoes.
- Mix all of the ingredients into a large saucepan, except the bread.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until mixture thickens and all ingredients are completely cooked.
- Add the sourdough cubes and toss thoroughly.
- Cook 5 more minutes.
- Serve hot with a fresh basil garnish.